Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Reflection 3: Sharing the Knowledge & Discovering myself


What I’ve learned….

About the methodologies of archival research and oral history:
            Over the last 3 months I’ve learned that archival research and oral histories are an art, not a science. I’ve also learned just how important archival research and oral histories are imperative to understanding actions of the past and how we can interpret them for the future. Archival research and oral history, as mentioned in “Embracing the Power of Archives”, illustrates how archivists are in the “memory business” and “play a part in shaping public memory” (page 3). “Doing Oral History” defines public memory as involving “symbols and stories that help a community define and explain present conditions according to how it remembers (or wants to remember) the past” (page 36). I would also add that it is similar for individuals; they remember the past how they remember the past; it may not necessarily be the exact version of events, but it is necessary to take their views into account because they may paint the picture of an opinion forgotten. As Canadian archivist Arthur Doughty said in 1924, “Of all national assets, archives are the most precious. They are the gift of one generation to another and the extent of our care of them marks the extent of our civilization” (4). Understanding that archivists need to get these documents and histories to the public is of utmost importance; they don’t do anything sitting in boxes inside libraries.
            Understanding that becoming an oral historian means you don’t necessarily have to have a specialty in history was one interesting piece of information I gained throughout this process. For example, I was able to take what I learned, introduce it to my boyfriend’s mother, and help her conduct an oral history of her mother and father in Polish. That’s not to say that anyone can do an oral history. As “Doing Oral History” mentions, there are right and wrong ways to conduct an oral history, as well as principles, guidelines, and standards about the process itself (25). For example, oral historians need to be aware that people remember what they think is important and will relay that information to the interviewer instead of what the interviewer may think is relevant. By the time they get to what is relevant, the interviewer may run out of time and have to schedule another appointment. Understanding that patience is definitely a virtue when it comes to the art of doing oral history may be difficult, but it will allow you to accomplish a lot more and set manageable timelines to finish projects.
             
About working in “real world” situations:
            Expect the unexpected. That’s definitely a phrase I will continue to remind myself with as I move forward with oral histories in the future. My first initial experiences began even before the oral histories we conducted in class. I was 12 years old and I was interviewing my grandfather about his early life and his experiences during World War II. Although I didn’t know it at the time, I was conducting an oral history. Fast forward 9 years to my next oral history project which was part of my thesis. I had barely started this course, and I had no idea what to expect. I ended up botching the interview in the sense that I wasn’t comfortable with letting the questions flow as her responses came. I wasn’t sure how to respond when she went off on tangents, nor did I feel like I had the control to get the interview back on track.
            A few months later when we interviewed Emily Martinez for the Chicana Por Mi Raza project, I felt like I had a better understanding of how to maintain composure and find answers that I needed. Although I was not conducting the interview, and Maria said we needed to go back to find out more, I did feel like I got a better grasp of how to connect with the subject of the oral history before we actually dove into the interview itself. I also learned that sometimes it is better to talk in the interviewee’s native language because they are more likely to give you a breadth of information that you may not have otherwise gained from speaking in their second language. As Maria discussed with Elizabeth and I, next time we interview Emily, we will interview her in Spanish, because we feel she will be more likely to open up and talk about her experiences, as well as recall more about the encounters she was engaged in. It is easier to recall something and speak about it in ones native tongue, because it may be reconstructed as the interviewee searches for words to describe it in their second language.

About Chicana feminism and the women in the movement:
            First, I want to talk about feminism in general. Even trying to understand what feminism is was in itself a difficulty. I thought I knew what feminism was before I took this class. I had this idea that it was about women’s rights and independence; to be honest I called myself a feminist. Now, I’m not so sure that I identify with the nominal definition of feminism, because, especially after taking this class, I feel it sidelines a lot of major issues and problems. For example, I’d never heard of AnnaNieto Gomez, Maylei Blackwell, or Kimberly Springer until I took this course. I didn’t even know what Chicana feminism was or that it even existed until I met Maria Cotera and conversed with her via email. I thought I was educated, but I claim ignorance in this case because 1) I took the idea of feminism at face value and 2) because feminism itself doesn’t seem to recognize its own biases.
            Moving into the definition of Chicana feminism, to be quite honest, for me, is still a bit undefined. I say this because after interviewing and listening to my peers’ responses to their own interview experiences, I can’t clearly say what defines Chicana feminism. If you met Emily Martinez, whose barely 5 feet and a force of nature, you might think she fits the idea of a Chicana feminist. But if you ask her, she DOES NOT define herself as Chicana, nor does she want to be associated with the movement. Instead, she says she is Mexican American, and she acts how she acts and does what she does because it is the right thing to do. This amazingly driven, hardworking woman refuses to associate herself with the term feminism. But if you took the definitions of Chicana feminism, one might say she is a Chicana feminist, despite the fact that she does not associate with the term herself.
            Another example is from my classmates’ interview with Jane Garcia. She defines herself as a Chicana, but does not identify herself as a feminist, AND she is a self-proclaimed Republican. She fits the bill for being a liberal, chicana feminist, yet she doesn’t identify with two of the three parts.
            After these two experiences, I began to think more and more about the ideas of labeling and what it can mean for a movement, especially for one like the feminist movement, who claim to represent the interests of all women in the fight for equality. However, as I’ve learned over the course of this class, that is definitely not the case. The divisions of feminism (i.e. Chicana feminism, Black feminism, Separatist feminism, Lesbian feminism, Multiracial feminism, Third World feminism, etc.) illustrate how the “original” feminist movement neglected to encompass these women, and in turn segmented itself. I find that moving forward, trying to encourage a unity amongst these groups will make the movement as a whole stronger. There are similar lines throughout all of the movements, but it is the stark differences that need to be acknowledge, accepted, and drawn into the sphere of feminist politics.

About myself:
Especially after the last 3 months, I want to continue this growing process of understanding feminism on a level beyond its origins. I want to help redefine the nominal definition of feminism into something that can encompass all women, of all ethnicities, sexualities, religions, and identities. That redefinition starts with simple conversations with other women and men. Most people hear the term feminism and either shy away from it, or embrace the definition that sidelines many women whom it claims to represent. It’s about starting at the ground level and allowing the discourse to spread.
Beyond that change, I’ve also learned a lot about myself. I don’t know if I consider myself a feminist like I used to. Part of the reason is that I’ve found the label doesn’t fit my belief system as I thought it once did. I’m not sure I can ever label myself other than a believer in equal opportunity and equality amongst sexes and races.
That being said, I also came to an understanding about myself in regards to my ethnicity, my race and my background. I never saw myself as white. I know that seems weird, but I didn’t identify with color. Instead, I focused on my ethnicity and my religion. I’m predominantly Polish and I’m a practicing Catholic (another label that sometimes raises eyebrows). I’ve received flack more for the latter, but my family has received criticism for the former. The association of Poles being stupid was something I learned from my grandparents; their parents dealt with never-ending criticism and other problems while working the factories during the early 1900s because of their ethnicity. As a Catholic I immediately get pigeonholed because of some of the predominant beliefs that people who aren’t Catholic know the religion for. Those assumptions are based on labels, and labels have a powerful hold on society. So when a friend of mine first labeled me as a “white girl”, I was taken aback. There was a subtle undertone that was almost accusatory in that statement. Whether she meant to do that or not, I began to feel self-conscious. When I initially entered this class, those insecurities hit me full force.
Ironically, Latina Oral History taught me to embrace who I am, skin color and all. I know longer feel guilty about the color of my skin; I’ve embraced it, with the understanding that being completely open and honest about my belief systems will remove that label from my forehead once people get to know me. When I met Emily Martinez, I was fearful that she might subconsciously reject me because my skin color was that of the people who made her life and her family’s indescribably difficult. But I never felt that vibe from her. As we sat and talked about her struggles, and the struggles my great-grandparents and grandfather went through, we bonded over the similarities in our belief systems, our hopes for the future in regards to equal opportunity and equality, and problems within society that continue to keep that from happening.
I’m very excited about the opportunity to continue this work next term as part of a field study course. I think that part of the way forgotten histories come alive involves bringing people in who may not necessarily be familiar, but have a passion for learning. In some ways I equivocate it to finding hidden treasure. It’s the excitement of bringing knowledge to the forefront of conversation and discussion that will continue oral history, and hopefully bring it from out of the sheltered realm of academia. Digitizing the material is so important, especially as we continue to grow as a society dependent on technology. Archives and histories will stay alive forever in the digital space, but this depends on getting more and more people involved with projects such as Chicana Por Mi Raza. If there weren’t people willing to do this work, these stories would lay forgotten, and I can guarantee that there are still thousands of stories out there waiting to be discovered that will have a major impact on how we continue to see the past, and shape our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment