Monday, September 21, 2015

Lizette Esquivel Reflection #1

What the H is Chicana Feminism?


 I was immediately drawn to this course because I realized that I know close to nothing about Chicana Feminism. I believe that as a Mexican American Woman, I seek to understand and learn about my people's history within this country. Unfortunately its always obvious, that the history that is deeply imbedded with in our society is one that tells the story of the White mans journey through time. We rarely ever hear about what the Mexicans journey was like, what our experiences were and further we almost never hear what the Mexican Women's experiences were like. I have always been bothered by my lack of knowledge on the topic. 
I  know that this class will grant me the opportunity to not only learn about our history as Chicanas and the activism we participated in, but it will also grant me the opportunity to learn about the steps that the woman before me have taken to empower our community and combat the social injustices that still remain today so that I may be able to follow within their footsteps.
It is a goal of mine to learn as much as possible through  this amazing opportunity that hits extremely close to home. I am beyond ecstatic to begin on our journey of discovering our uncovered history, in a sense. I feel that it will be a very impactful and empowering experience for me to be able to hear first hand the amazing things the Chicanas before me were able to achieve. 
I currently, however, have zero exposure to archiving and cataloging so I am a bit skepitical about what the process is going to look like, but I am also very excited to learn new skills that undoubtedly will assist me in future endeavors. Overall I am mostly excited to learn the history of the women whose lives have impacted my own in various ways, but most  importantly, I am excited to learn about the legacies that the great women before me have laid in my path.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to have a student in the course who is actually RELATED to one of our interview subjects! I think you will probably learn more than you bargained for... Don't be too afraid of archiving and cataloguing. Like anything else, once you do it for a bit, it becomes second nature. And there is nothing, absolutely NOTHING as thrilling as holding the past in your hands.

    ReplyDelete