Sunday, September 20, 2015

Blake Ebright Reflection #1

After putting together my class schedule and talking to Donna, we decided I could analyze my honors thesis (in Psychology) under a feminist perspective to fulfill my practicum requirement. Some months into the summer, however, Donna sent an email to the Women’s Studies undergraduates suggesting we look into this course. I researched it and noticed that Professor Cotera would be teaching (my professor from Intro to Women’s Studies). I really enjoyed the structure of that class and enjoyed how interesting the insights were that Verónica (my GSI) and Professor Cotera offered. I do not mean to sound like a complete sycophant, but I immediately dropped my Tuesday/Thursday afternoon class to enroll in this one!

In Feminist Thought, we are currently reading Foucault and a book titled Intersectionality. In these two readings, the idea of knowledge and power are addressed, and both specifically address the practice of oral history as a marginalized form of knowledge. This marginalization is perpetuated by the fact that the institutions (grant providers and the universities themselves) use their power to endorse the knowledge-producing intellectuals that are contributing to traditional fields of theory (math, physics, etc.) and the knowledge production begotten of their endorsement further legitimizes their power to endorse. I want to do my part in using what little power I have to endorse marginalized forms of knowledge production, especially considering that I will eventually be forced to be a benefactor of the marginalization (I am applying to graduate schools this semester and plan on going into academia). So, in a manner of speaking, I feel guilty and plan to make my peace by contributing.

A few semesters ago, I took a Psychology and Women’s Studies cross-listed course with Abby Stewart about Global Feminisms. The Global Feminisms Project is a huge archive of oral histories about women in activism and scholarship. There are over 50 interviews on the site of women from India, Nicaragua, Poland, China, the United States, and Mexico (they are going to add interviews from Brazil soon). With the exception of the single Mexican-American feminist interviewed for the Global Feminisms Project, I know little about Chicana feminism, considering Marta Ojeda was focused on labor law and likely doesn’t consider herself a Chicana (she was schooled only briefly in Florida). Similarly, I would say I have little to no experience with archives because I simply studied the GFP, I did not contribute to it. Also important to note, is that GFP calls their site an archive, but it has no archival component (e.g. a letter from the Minister of Communications of the Brown Berets quitting along with the rest of the women) past the streaming video of the interview itself.

As of now, I would say that I come in knowing what an oral history project looks like and how much work goes into an interview – how difficult it is to prepare, schedule, adapt, etc. I have a scary and simultaneously exciting lack of knowledge of the Chicanas we are interviewing. I want so much to know their personal stories, trials, tribulations, and triumphs in the feminist community, Chicana community, and local community. I hope to be further inspired and prepared to make my own oral history project, perhaps related to the local LGBTQ community. My biggest fear, then, would be to be so immensely inspired and not have the time or resources to follow through – my apologies for making you suffer through that clichéd answer!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you brought Foucault into this reflection Blake, way to cross-pollinate between your WS courses!!! In fact the connections you make are quite astute. Oral history, as you point out IS a form of subjugated knowledge. I think our readings on the power of the archive suggest as much (as you likely have noticed), and this will come up again, especially when we read Maylei Blackwell's book (Chicana Power!) in which she turns to oral history (and personal archives) to "recast" the dominant narratives of the Chicano and Feminist movements. You are also astute in your observations of the key differences between the Global Feminisms project and Chicana por mi Raza. In fact, once you dive into the repository, I'd be very interested in getting your sense of how archival images change the user experience of the archive. Finally, one of the goals of the class is to inspire participants to imagine their own public history projects, and to give them the skills, knowledges, and capacities to undertake them. So nothing would make me happier than to see students in this class take what they learn and "go forth and multiply!" (history, that is).

    ReplyDelete