Monday, September 23, 2013

Sarah's Initial Reflection: 9/23


The introduction of Archives Power! struck me in an unexpected way. I wasn’t prepared to draw connections between this course and last semester’s International Studies Seminar: Politics of Memory and History. However after reading through the introduction it became clear there are many links between the two realms of coursework. The connection I find most intriguing — and hope to explore in greater depth this term — is the relationship between state power and “official” histories. The collective memory of a population is often tied to official state documents and archives, though these may not always best reflect the community at stake. I find this tension between official histories and hidden memories to be extremely fascinating since it often drives the poorly represented group to stand up and speak out against the state system. This notion of control and power gained through the selection of specific archives and the rejection of others is something I would like to expand upon as I dive into the terrain of Chicana feminism. More specifically, I hope to learn more about the political implications of silencing Chicana feminists and failing to include their stories and experiences in the official public history.

Another aspect of Chicana feminism I’m looking forward to exploring is the intersection of gender and sexuality in conjunction with the Mexican American Civil Rights Movement. Chicano! touches on this concept, but I would like to learn more about the ways these radical women were able to redefine society as they know it and empower their community to take a stand for justice and political representation. As I learned in my seminar last semester, these types of histories often go unnoticed and require conscious research and documentation to unearth the “hidden” truth.

One of my greatest fears moving forward is that the interview with Maria Guadiana isn’t as successful as I would like it to be. I worry that after months of preparation and research, the interview might not go as smoothly as planned, or that my teammate and I don’t gain as much from it as we may have originally intended. I know sometimes I can become caught up in minute details and fail to see the larger picture at hand, so I hope this experience will allow me to understand Chicana feminism and the radical movement behind it in an all-encompassing way.

Additionally, I look forward to exploring a new realm of coursework and becoming an active participant in unearthing this “unofficial” history. I hope that by the end of the term I not only grasp a better understanding of the Chicana movement, but find specific connections to my own life and interests as well. I’m most excited for the actual interview itself and hope that it is not only quite successful, but that the stories shared are ones I will carry with me for the rest of my life. My own mother has been doing genealogy for about ten years now and the stories she shares with my family and I at the dinner table, family gatherings and on long car rides, are not only heartfelt, but of great historic value also.

No comments:

Post a Comment