Saturday, September 21, 2013

Grace's reflection on Entering the World of the Project

I am excited to enhance learning about Chicana feminism and become a part of the history-making process. I cannot express how cool/rewarding I believe this project will be both for me as an undergraduate researcher and for the legacy of Latina history that we are becoming contributors to. My (honest) initial perception of archiving was/is the accumulation of information that will eventually lie dusty somewhere in drawers, only within reach of academics. I sincerely hope (and believe) that my perception of archives will change. Since this project has been introduced as something that will be available to community members and the public (and will be made available electronically), it is virtually guaranteed that whatever information we archive will not just be filed away somewhere. I do not know much about archiving information (as can probably be inferred from my initial perception of archiving) but I do want to learn more, especially how newer information technology is changing the face of archiving. I also do not know very much about the oral history process; however, its similarity to interviews (like ones conducted by journalists) and its ability to take on a life of its own after an initial question or two (as we have discussed) sound very intriguing and I am excited to see how one works for myself.
I am also eager to be entering the terrain of Chicana feminism both because I think it is an important area of history that should be documented and because Chicana feminism is a topic that interests me. I know some basics about Chicana feminism – such as the divide between Chicana feminism and the feminism of middle-class white women and the multiple levels of discrimination experienced by many Chicana women. However, there is quite a lot of information that I do not know about Chicana feminism. For instance, I do not know specific leaders of the movement or details about regional experiences of Chicana feminism. I do not know what policies or community organizations have resulted from the efforts of Chicana feminists. I hope that this project will give me a much fuller understanding of the Chicana feminist movement especially its presence in Michigan.
My biggest fear for this experience is that I will get caught up in the scanning/archiving process and not fully appreciate the uniqueness of what we will be doing this semester. I hope that I enjoy every piece of the archiving/oral history process that we do this semester. I know in future that I will be extremely grateful to have had this experience; I just hope that I will also be able to enjoy it as I experience it as well. I honestly am also a little worried that since I am not Chicana, my place in this archiving project will somehow be less legitimate. I know we have already discussed race and different backgrounds in the oral history context and that it should not be a problem. I am still a little nervous, however, that some may think I should not be included in this effort since I am not Chicana. Again, I know how amazing this opportunity is and how important the information is that we are collecting so I will be excited to share in any piece of this project. I hope to not give anyone any reason to be offended by my participation in this project and will put my best effort towards the success of this project.

To a great semester of oral history making!

No comments:

Post a Comment