Sunday, September 22, 2013

Ari's First Thoughts


I am a history enthusiast and born record-keeper. Since childhood, I have rummaged through family archives for clothing, photographs, letters and other artifacts of my ancestors. I create the family photo albums, I keep journals, and I try to preserve the memories of my family in short stories. I ask a continuous slew of questions of immediate and extended family members at any chance I get. Because of my curiosity, I grew up surrounded by storytelling. My bisnonno described his experiences in San Benedetto del Tronto in Italy as a soldier, my Grammy described her memories moving from Stalinist Russia, and my parents explained how they married, regardless of their different religious backgrounds. From this, I learned lessons about hardship, hard work, love, cruelty, and interactions with people across cultures. 

Now, I am at university studying other peoples’ items in several research projects in an attempt to glean information about the nineteenth century in the United States of America. Both in my research in 19th century magazines, and also in my thesis research in popular music I work to understand the ways Americans have created social structures of hierarchy. The knowledge I’ve obtained applies to our Latina Oral History project in that many of the experiences we might hear about come from the classism and racism solidified during that time. Also, my research experience has lead me to understand how to conduct effective primary source research. 

Though my access to historical archives sparked my curiosity to explore, I cannot doubt that traditional archives exclude artifacts voicing the histories of oppressed communities; including, but not limited to, women, people of color, queer individuals, and people of low socioeconomic status. It is not surprising, then, that the opportunity to help create an accessible archive for more inclusive learning excites me. I want for Chicanas to have their important stories heard and documented, especially because of the extensive exclusion of the community in the majority of historical collections. Right now, history belongs to people in positions of power. It is time for that to change. Though I never had the opportunity to conduct oral histories, my passion for obtaining individual and collective stories makes me confident that I can begin to learn how. 

However, I remain inexperienced in modern forms of history-making, Chicana feminist legacies and conducting oral histories. Like I said in class, my technological skills are lacking. I am nervous to butcher the videography and ruin hours of hard work, causing a loss in uniquely important information. In the same vein of technological inadequacy, I am liable to take too much time learning to scan documents. With such issues, I might hinder my team in uploading sufficient archival information. 

Even if tasking difficulties frighten me, the implications of my identities worry me more. I wonder if my identities as a white woman from an economically privileged background will only add to my naiveté. I fear that I might accidentally disrespect Sister Consuelo Alcala. We come from different generations and follow diverse religious tracts. 

Regardless of such insecurities, I maintain hope that I will learn the same lessons that my family taught me from another perspective. I also want to learn more about Chicana feminist history and the experiences of the women we plan to interview. I would also like to bond with the class/research team and contribute a well-done portion to this project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment